Just days after an announcement that Twitter is shutting down their official Twitter for Mac app, Twitterrific 5 has been released, with new profile details, a new design and more.
The shut down of Twitter’s app for mac was quietly released on their support account, which stated that:
“We’re focusing our efforts on a great Twitter experience that’s consistent across platforms. So, starting today the Twitter for Mac app will no longer be available for download, and in 30 days will no longer be supported.”
This announcement was no surprise to many as Twitter has had problems with their Mac app for years. They have been constantly updating its iOS version with new features and designs, while they have somewhat neglected their desktop version.
It really is Twitterrific
Just days after shutting down their Mac app, Twitter announced the release of Twitterrific, a brand new update for its macOS app!
This app brings new features for those who have multiple accounts as it allows you to click your avatar while composing a tweet to switch accounts. You will also have the option of right-clicking on a tweet so you can like, quote or retweet it from any one of your accounts.
Users can also benefit from updates to profiles, including who that users followers and who they follow. Badges will indicate verified and protected accounts and users can now use the font Georgia.
Improvements and Bug Fixes
Twitter also announced a number of other improvements and bug fixes:
- Reduced the number of clicks necessary to properly select and act upon a tweet when activating Twitterrific from the background
- Twitterrific is smarter about removing previously deleted tweets from the timeline
- Clicking the title of a navigation stack (not just the back arrow) goes back
- Added a shortcut on user profiles to quickly create a muffle via the Actions menu
- The bottom bar on profiles stays anchored on the bottom & doesn’t scroll
- Improved performance when importing messages and tweets
- Improved performance when loading long discussion threads
- Option under General Preferences to disable streaming (recommended when using Twitterrific with VoiceOver)
- Fixed an issue causing streaming to disconnect after hiding a timeline window
- Fixed a problem that sometimes prevented URL’s from being properly copied
- Fixed problems that could cause tweets to not be properly selected
- Fixed an issue that could cause a discussion popup to appear when double clicking a thumbnail image
- Fixed another issue preventing delete/edit from appearing in tweet actions menu
- Fixed an issue that could prevent the reading position from syncing at launch
- Fixed an issue causing the preferences window to move when switching tabs Fixed a few crashers
This app is currently available for $7.99, however, it normally costs $19.99 on the Mac App Store.