Apple wants supply chain and products to be carbon neutral by 2030 Apple's making big changes to reduce its environmental impact

Apple has announced its ambitions to become a carbon-neutral business across its entire range, from the initial manufacturing supply chain to products, within the next decade.

The company confirmed that it was already carbon neutral now for its corporate operations, but admitted that there was more to do to bring its supply chain and product life cycle in line.

Speaking of the initiative, Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, said: “Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share. The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy-efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. 

“Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”

Offering insights into how the Cupertino company was planning to reach carbon neutrality, Apple shared a roadmap which should also inspire other businesses.

Over the next ten years, Apple hopes to reduce its emissions by around 75% and invest in carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25%, hence allowing the company to become carbon neutral.

First up, Apple will use low-carbon and recycled materials in iPhones, iPads, and other products, as well as innovate in product recycling and design. One small change that Apple is planning to make as part of this year’s iPhone packaging is removing the power adapter from the box, as most consumers already have an iPhone charger, as well as free EarPods.

Apple will also look for new ways to lower its energy use at its corporate facilities and help supply chains make the same transition. The company will remain using 100% renewable energy for its operations and will tackle emissions via technological improvements, including investing in the development of a carbon-free aluminum smelting process.

Apple will also invest in forests and nature-based solutions to remove carbon from the atmosphere.

Are you pleased to see Apple take an even greater stance on the planet? Let us know your thoughts and check back soon for more news and rumors on everything Apple, every week.

About the Author

News content on is produced by our editorial team and complements more in-depth editorials which you’ll find as part of our weekly publication. provides a comprehensive daily reading experience, offering a wide view of the consumer technology landscape to ensure you're always in the know. Check back every weekday for more.

Editorial Team | Masthead – AppleMagazine Digital Publication