Most people know that blue light emitted from devices can be harmful to our eyesight in the long run. But what many people don’t know is that blue light can also disrupt our sleep cycles, making it harder to fall asleep and get quality rest. Here are six expert-approved tips on how to block blue light from your devices and get a better night’s sleep.
Use special glasses
There are now special glasses that can block out blue light. These are especially useful if you work long hours in front of a computer screen or you use your phone a lot before bed. Many different types of glasses are designed to help Block Blue Light. Here are some tips on how to choose and use these glasses:
- Make sure you get the right size. Glasses that are too large or too small will not be effective in blocking the blue light
- Choose glasses with a strong filter. The stronger the filter, the more blue light will be blocked.
- Look for glasses with an anti-reflective coating. This will help reduce glare from screens and other bright lights
- Consider wearing tinted glasses. Tinted lenses can help reduce eye fatigue and strain
Adjust the settings on your devices
Most devices now have settings that allow you to reduce the amount of blue light emitted. You should know how to adjust the settings on your devices, and here’s how:
- On your computer, use the “night shift” or “f.lux” setting. This will change the color of your screen to a more yellow hue, which will reduce the amount of blue light emitted
- On your phone, try using the “night mode” setting. This will also change the color of your screen to a more yellow hue
- If you have an Apple device, you can go to “Settings” and then “Display & Brightness” to adjust the color of your screen
- If you have an Android device, you can go to “Settings” and then “Display” to find an option to change the color of your screen
Use a blue light filter
Some filters can be applied to screens that will help with this issue. These are usually applied as a sticker or a film that goes over the screen. To do this, you need to make sure the filter is the right size for your device. Then, choose a filter with a strong blue light blocking agent and look for a filter that has an anti-reflective coating. The last thing is to make sure the filter is easy to apply and remove. A blue light filter will essentially work the same as wearing blue-light-blocking glasses.
Take breaks from screen time
One of the best ways to protect your eyes from blue light is to limit your exposure to it. This can be done by limiting the amount of time you spend looking at screens. It’s important to take breaks from looking at screens, especially if you’re doing it for long periods. To take breaks from screen time, set a timer and take a break every 20 minutes, get up and walk around or do some stretches every few hours, and avoid using screens in the hour before bed. You can also find a feature on your phone that will lock some of your most-used apps automatically so that you don’t use them as often and you can reduce your screen time that way too.
Use low-blue light devices
There are now devices that emit less blue light than traditional screens. These can be a good option if you’re looking for ways to reduce your exposure to blue light. Here are six tips for using low-blue light devices:
- Choose a device with an “eye care” or “night mode” setting
- Look for a device that emits less blue light than other types of screens
- Consider using a blue light filter (as described above) on your device
Get an eye exam
If you’re concerned about the effects of blue light on your eyes, it’s a good idea to get an eye exam. During an eye exam, your doctor can check for any damage that has been caused by blue light and they can also give you tips on how to protect your eyes from blue light. Some common effects of blue light on the eyes include eye fatigue and eyestrain, dry eyes, blurry vision, and headaches. In some cases, it can cause your vision to worsen.
These are six expert-approved tips for blocking the blue light. If you’re concerned about the effects of blue light on your eyes, talk to your doctor and follow these tips to help reduce your exposure to it. So, make sure to utilize some or all of these tips in your daily life.