It can be stressing or frustrating experience to have a dead iPhone or one that won’t turn on. This can lead to various other complications like losing access to your communication device and on top of that losing important data stored on the phone.
Fortunately, there are several methods you can try to recover data from a dead iPhone. In this blog, we have explained a step-by-step guide to retrieve data from dead iPhones. You will also learn some helpful tips to avoid data loss from iPhone.
Workarounds to Recover Data from Dead iPhone
Before you begin any dead iPhone data recovery method, it’s important to rule out some common errorsproblems that prevent iPhone from turning on. Here’s what you should do:
- Check the iPhone adapter and charging cable
Make sure that the iPhone charging cable and adapter are working and in a good condition. If there’s an issue with any of these, try using a different cable and adapter.
- Charge your iPhone
If your iPhone is not turning on or appear dead, it can be due to a drained battery. Try connecting it to a power source for charging and leave it for at least 30 minutes. After that, try turning on your iPhone, if it responds, proceed normally and first backup your device data.
- Force Restart Your iPhone
If your iPhone doesn’t respond even after charging, try to force restart your device. The process of force restart depends on the model of your iPhone.
- iPhone 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, XS/XR, X, 8, 8 Plus, and SE 2 series: First, press and release the Volume Up button, then press and release the Volume Down button. After that, long press the Side button until you see the Apple Logo, and then release it.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time until the Apple logo appears.
- iPhone 6s and earlier: Press and hold both the Home button and the Power button together until the Apple logo appears.
Methods to Recover Data from Dead iPhone
If the force restart does not work, try following these dead iPhone data recovery methods.
Note – Before you begin the recovery methods, it’s important to remember that data recovery from a dead iPhone is not always possible. The success of the recovery process depends on various factors like the condition of the iPhone, the original cause, and the availability of the backup.
Method 1: Try to Access Dead iPhone Data Via iTunes
iTunes is the go-to option to recover data from dead iPhones. However, this method will only work if your computer already comes under ‘Trust devices’ on your iPhone and you periodically backup your device data via iTunes. Here’s how to recover data from iTunes backup:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer via a USB cable. Open iTunes.
- Select your iPhone in the main iTunes.
- Now, you need to click on the Restore Backup option to retrieve data from a dead iPhone.
- You will be presented with several backup options, choose the backup that contains your iPhone data.
- Click Restore and wait. Your iPhone may restart, if not, reach out to technical experts to fix this issue.
Method 2: Try to Access Dead iPhone Data Via iCloud
If you’ve been using iCloud to back up your iPhone data, you might be able to recover it. This method doesn’t require connecting your iPhone to any computer, you can just recover data from iCloud on another iPhone. Here’s how dead iPhone data recovery is done via iCloud:
- Turn on the working iPhone and perform the initial setup procedures until you see App & Data.
- Tap on the Restore from iCloud Backup option and then sign in with your Apple ID.
- A window with all the backups available for recovery will appear. Chose the one that contains your iPhone data.
- Wait for some time for the data transfer process to get finished. Once done, you can see a pop-up of successful data transfers.
Method 3: Use Stellar iPhone Data Recovery Software
If your iPhone screen is dead but your computer can recognize your iPhone after connecting it, the chances of data recovery are higher. You can use efficient iPhone data recovery software like Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone to recover lost or deleted data from iPhone, iTunes, and iCloud.
This tool can restore videos, photos, messages, documents, notes, and more from iPhone and saves them on a computer. The software is compatible with iOS 17 and below iOS versions on iPhone 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, and later models.
Stellar Data Recovery for iPhone has amazing additional iCloud and iTunes data recovery modules. These modules enable you to recover iPhone data from iCloud or iTunes backup files, in case you cannot retrieve them manually.
Moreover, efficient iPhone recovery software is helpful when you don’t wish to restore everything from your dead iPhone or one that won’t turn on. The software allows you to retrieve only the data you want to keep.
Tips to Avoid Data Loss from iPhone
- Take regular backups of your iPhone using iTunes or iCloud
- Make sure your iOS up-to-date.
- Use only original Apple accessories and cables to avoid any connectivity or charging issues.
- Avoid exposing your iPhone to water or extreme temperatures.
In conclusion, data recovery from a dead iPhone is a complicated and challenging process. Moreover, the success of recovery depends on a few factors, including the severity of the damage and availability of backup. You can attempt the DIY methods mentioned above to retrieve your iPhone data. To repair a dead or damaged iPhone, you can simply reach out to Apple Support.