Getting repetitive calls from unwanted contacts or spam is enough to ruin your mood. Plus, you never know which call might put your privacy in danger. This is why you need call screening on your iPhone! Call screening can be done by listening to a recorded message left in a voicemail, checking the caller ID, or pre-screening callers through a request line.
You can also make use of popular tools like MightyCall or GoogleVoice to pre-screen the calls. Whether you’re a busy professional or simply looking to protect your privacy, call screening on your iPhone is a valuable tool for managing your incoming calls. There’s more to talk about on the topic of call screening, so we have created a simple step-by-step guide.
What is call screening?
Call screening is a useful tool for managing incoming phone calls and ensuring that you only answer important or relevant calls. It lets you review an incoming call and decide whether to answer it or not based on the caller’s information and your preferences. Call screening can be done manually or automatically. When done manually, a person will review the caller’s information and decide whether to answer the call. You can do it by using a caller ID feature on the device, or by looking up the caller’s information in a directory or contact list.
Automatic call screening, on the other hand, uses technology to review and assess incoming calls. This uses caller ID technology, which automatically displays the caller’s information on the phone’s screen. It can also involve other types of technology, such as voice recognition software or algorithms that can analyze the caller’s voice and determine their identity.
What is it used for?
One of the main benefits of call screening is that it helps you filter out unwanted calls, such as telemarketing or spam calls. By reviewing the caller’s information, you can quickly and easily decide whether to answer it or not. This can save you time and prevent you from being interrupted by unwanted calls. This can be especially useful in situations where you are expecting an important call and don’t want to be interrupted by other callers.
The following are the three major methods of screening calls on your iPhone.
Embedded or integrated
Embedded or integrated call screening refers to a call screening feature that is built into a device or system rather than being provided by a separate app or service. For example, a phone or voicemail system might have an integrated call screening feature that allows you to review and assess incoming calls before deciding whether to answer them.
- Convenience: Embedded call screening is built into the device or system, so it is easy to use and does not require a separate app or service
- Effectiveness: Embedded call screening can access and use information from the device or system to better identify and filter out unwanted calls
- Integration: Embedded call screening is integrated into the device or system so that it can work seamlessly with other features and functions
- Limited customization: Embedded call screening is typically provided as a standard feature, so users may not be able to customize it to their specific needs or preferences
- Compatibility: Embedded call screening may only be available on certain devices or systems, so it may not be an option for all users
- Updating: Embedded call screening may not be updated as frequently as a separate app or service, so it may not be as effective at blocking new types of unwanted calls
MightyCall is a cloud-based phone system and virtual phone service that provides a range of features and tools for small businesses and individuals. It offers a variety of plans that include features such as virtual phone numbers, call forwarding, voicemail, call routing, and call tracking. MightyCall also offers a mobile app that allows users to make and receive calls on their smartphones.
One of the key features of this tool is its call screening and blocking capabilities. You can create a list of numbers to block and use automatic call screening through caller ID technology. Thus, you can quickly identify unwanted calls.
MightyCall also offers a range of other features to help small businesses and individuals manage their phone calls and communications. These features include call forwarding, voicemail, call routing, and call tracking.
- Cloud-based: MightyCall is accessible from any device with an internet connection. This provides you with the flexibility and convenience to make and receive calls from multiple locations or devices
- Call screening and blocking: MightyCall offers a range of call screening and blocking capabilities, which can help users filter out unwanted calls
- Comprehensive features: MightyCall offers a range of features and tools for managing phone calls and communications, including virtual phone numbers, call forwarding, voicemail, call routing, and call tracking
- Limited customization: MightyCall offers a standard set of features and tools so that you can customize the system to your specific needs or preferences
- Limited scalability: MightyCall may not suit larger businesses or organizations that need a more robust and scalable phone system
- Cost: Plans and pricing may not be suitable for all users, depending on their needs and budget
Google Voice is a virtual phone service provided by Google that allows users to make and receive calls, send, and receive text messages, and manage voicemail from their computer, smartphone, or other devices. Google Voice offers a range of features and tools for managing phone calls and communications, including call forwarding, call screening, and voicemail.
One of the key features of Google Voice is its call-screening capability. With call screening, Google Voice users can review incoming calls and decide whether to answer them or not. Google Voice displays the caller’s information on the screen, so users can quickly and easily identify the caller. Google Voice also lets you create a list of numbers to block, preventing unwanted calls from reaching you. Additionally, Google Voice offers voicemail, so users can record and store messages from callers that they do not answer.
- Convenience: Google Voice is a virtual phone service that can be accessed from any device with an internet connection, so users can make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, and manage voicemails from anywhere
- Integration: Google Voice is integrated with other Google services, such as Gmail and Google Calendar, so users can access and manage their phone calls and communications from within those services
- Call screening and blocking: Google Voice offers call screening and blocking capabilities, which can help users filter out unwanted calls and only answer calls that are important or relevant
- Limited customization: Google Voice offers a standard set of features and tools, so you may not be able to customize the service to your specific needs or preferences
- Compatibility: Google Voice may not be compatible with all devices or phone systems
- Cost: Google Voice is a free service, but you may need to pay for additional features or services, such as virtual phone numbers or call forwarding to multiple devices
Steps to screen calls on your iPhone
To screen calls on your iPhone, you can use the built-in caller ID feature or a third-party call-blocking app.
Follow these steps to use the built-in caller ID feature:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on the Phone option
- Scroll down and tap on the Show Caller ID option
- Enable the Show Caller ID toggle switch. This will display the caller’s name and number on your phone’s screen when they call you
Here is how to use a call-blocking app:
- Open the App Store and find “call blocking” or “call screening” apps
- Browse the available apps and read the reviews to find a reputable and effective call-blocking app.
- Once you have chosen an app, download and install it on your iPhone
- Open the app and follow the on-screen instructions to set it up and configure it to your preferences
- This may involve creating a list of numbers to block or setting up rules for how to handle incoming calls
Call screening is an essential tool for managing the calls that you receive on your phone. With the help of these powerful tools, you can control your incoming calls and stay focused and productive.
Thus, you stay away from the tension of blocking every number individually.